Diwali Do’s and Don’ts
Deepawali is celebrated for the victory of Good over Evil. Diwali is the biggest and the brightest Hindu festival. It is the festival of lights. Deepawali means “Row of lights”. On each Diwali the lights with which we illuminates our homes wish to illuminate our hearts also to find new hope and reason. It is the journey from Darkness unto Light. The light that empowers us to commit ourselves to do good deeds as by helping poor and needy people, which will bring us more closer to divinity.Diwali Do’s and Don’ts.
On Diwali, Puja is performed. Merchants and shopkeepers close their accounts of the previous year and open new accounts. Shops are well decorated and alms are given to the poor. By evening all the houses are decorated with lamps. Rich people decorate their houses with good illumination. Those who observe tradition light oil lamps. Girls and women take a lot of time arranging the lamps.
Then the Gouri Puja or Lakshmi Puja starts with the Puja of Ganesha. Rich food is offered to the deity and prayers are said requesting the deity to give wealth. Merchants do the Lakshmi Puja late in the night and keep awake. They believe Goddess Lakshmi enters their houses at midnight. While doing this Special Puja we should be careful about few things. There are many Diwali Do’s and Don’ts. Lets have a look on these:
Do’s For Diwali Puja:
- Always fill the main Pooja Diya with Ghee. The other Diyas can be filled by mustard Oil. Diyas should be in count of 11 ,21,51
- Always set the pooja area in the north-east direction and all members of the family should sit facing the north while doing pooja.
- Place the idols in the order from left to right-Lord Ganesha, lakshmiji, Lord Vishnu, Maa Saraswati and Maa Kali. Then place idols of lakshman ji, ShreeRam, and Maa Sita.
- Keep another ghee/mustard oil diya(as per your family tradition) lit throughout the diwali night in the south-east corner of your home.
- Always arrange diyas in a group of four denoting Goddess Lakshmi, Lord Ganesha, Lord Kuber and Lord Indra.
- Make maximum use of the colors red. You can use red Diyas, candles, lights, bright bed sheets and red flowers.
- Always start Diwali Pooja with the worship of lord Ganesha.
- You should worship your account books also, if maintained. They should be placed in front of the idol of Goddess Lakshmi, but a little towards the west.
- Include lotus flower in Diwali Pooja as it is the favorite with goddess Maa Lakshmi.
- Take an oil bath in the morning, and after getting ready, take blessing of the elders in the family and we should wish our friends and relatives a very Happy Diwali by sending Diwali Messages and Diwali Wishes. Always take bath before performing Pooja at night.Diwali Do’s and Don’ts
Dont’s for Diwali Puja:
- When you are choosing gifts for your friends and relatives, don’t choose leather items, cutlery and crackers.
- Please avoide Gambling. Play for fun not for money.
- Avoid Drinking and non-vegetarian food on Diwali.
- Don’t leave the Diwali Puja area unattended throughout the night to make sure that the Diya remains lit. Keep on adding ghee/oil to it.
- Please Do not use too many candles.
- Don’t place that idol of Ganeshji in the worship area, which is not in a seated position and the one with right-sided trunk.
- Please Don’t light crackers when the lakshmi Poojan is on or immediately after it.
- Do not clap while singing arti of Lakshmiji. Goddess Lakshmi doesn’t like loud noices during singing arti so please don’t sing loud.
- Don’t place goddess Lakshmi alone, always accompany her with lord Vishnu.
- We should also take care while bursting crackers.There are also some dos and dont’s for bursting crackers. lets have a look on few :
- Burst crackers in an open space and make sure that there is no combustible or inflammatory substance around.
- Always purchase fireworks from licensed sellers.Read the instructions printed on the label of cracker, if the Cracker is new to use.
- While burning the cracker, maintain safe distance.
- Keep burn ointments, bucketful of water and fire extinguishers as a first aid kit.
- In the case of minor burns, splash cold water on the affected area and immediately visit the doctor.
- While bursting crackers, tie your hair properly, especially if you have long hair.
- Avoid wearing long and loose clothes as they are likely to catch fire. Instead, wear fitted cotton clothes.
- Make sure that your child bursts crackers under the supervision of an adult or your supervision.
- Wear footwear while lighting fireworks.
- As we are facing Global warming and pollution at very high level try to avoid bursting crackers. It is a humble request from your friend make this Diwali environment friendly.
Firstly Thank you for visiting these Diwali Do’s and Don’ts. And also Browse my complete Quotes and Sayings collection by Category and by Author. Visit My Previous Post Click here.